The Homestone

Sunday, August 03, 2008

Summer projects and summer skies

Haying the meadows provides winter feed and bedding for the sheep. And winter feed for our neighbours' livestock. It's good stuff :) and the fields are in lovely shape this year. We use our pine (killed by the pine beetle) for firewood of course, and for all sorts of things around the property ~ log fencing particularly. This is one way we tie up the carbon ~ by selectively logging the smaller standing dead pine for fencing, building corrals and outbuildings. Summer project number 127 (or there abouts) is a mile of log fence around the perimeter.
Vincent and his fence! And ohhh, those summer skies.

7 comments:

Hildred said...

Wonderful, wonderful, - I'm always so pleased when I find a posting, and this one is so beautiful and satisfying to a Mum. Much love....

Anonymous said...

Those are some really attractive wood rail fences. Did the draft horses pull out all the felled trees that you used to make the fences?

Not a Granny said...

Beautiful photos! Thanks so much for sharing!!

poo-head said...

thank you so much for your blog. I've long been interested in sustainable living and have dabbled in much of what you do, and look forward to returning to that life once I am ready. I used to own a pretty little belgian mare, much like the one in the image. My dreams are to live in a way that minimizes my ecological footprint and to date my blog hasn't discussed these things....I think it will now! Thanks for the inspiration,
ph

Alison Kerr said...

Lovely pics, especially the horses!

FjordWoman said...

Nicola, you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth! What a lovely blog.
I shall return again and again!

Adam said...

Aurora Borealis! Yeah.... :-)